TODAY'S NUGGET: Tin Man Needs A Heart
I'm determined to finish reading the action spec I started yesterday. I'm pausing at p. 58+ to write this blog b/c I'm struggling to stay awake.
Let's examine what the writer did right & wrong:
- It's about one concept, i.e., getting a VIP out of trouble.
- The writer sticks to that one concept.
- Every scene builds so we wonder how the main character will rescue the VIP.
- Some good conflict in here & there.
- I'm not engaged emotionally.
- Lots of action, action, action, but I'm not engaged emotionally.
- Because I'm not engaged emotionally, I don't really care about the character.
WHAT I'VE LEARNED: I can't identify with someone who isn't at least a little bit vulnerable. I can't crack his shell & identify with him. For heaven's sake, give the Tin Man a heart!