Wednesday, April 7, 2010

TODAY'S 2nd NUGGET: Gut Speed

A writer asked a question on #scriptchat (Twitter discussion group) that I've been pondering: How do you know if your script is any good?

You know what all the bigwigs say about "good" scripts. Yada yada yada. 

For me, "good" also means there's a fast speed of absorption into the gut of the reader.

Two big indicators are:

1) How fast I can read your script?  The better storyteller you are, the better the transitions, the seamless flow, the conflict escalations, etc.

2) From the moment I finish your script, how fast can I tell someone what it's about?  Seconds or hours?

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: The faster your gut gets what my gut felt, the better script it is. (Ok, that's a disturbing image, but you get what I mean.)

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'