Friday, May 28, 2010

TODAY'S NUGGET: "Her Face is Flat"

Today I watched one of those cake competitions on TV.  One competitor recreated Snow White's face in sugar.  She said as an aside, "Her face is too flat. I should've gone more dramatic."

"Hmmmm," I thought, "Flat is a good word."  It made me think of the flat character descriptions I've encountered.   How do you round out a character?  Especially when you only have a line or two to be dramatic?

My #1 recommendation: Make sure every action does double duty, i.e., one movement reveals both character/thought and conflict.  

[Commercial break for the Everlasting Critic (EC).

EC: Well, duh.  But conflict?  Are you kidding?
Me: Does this face lie? Wait a minute. You can't see my face.
EC: What about sitting? 
Me: Yup.
EC: I do not mean squirming. I mean sitting still.
Me: I said YUP.
EC: Prove it.

ex. "Salty slouches in the porch rocker, apparently dead... except his trigger finger was itching for that jackrabbit to dare cross his lawn."

I win!

End of commercial.]

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: The world is round, not flat. Ergo, people should be round, not flat.

[I didn't take Logic in undergrad. So sue me.]

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'