Friday, April 15, 2011

TODAY'S NUGGET: #87 WGA Script of All Time - 8 1/2 (1963)

[Quick Summary: A filmmaker is having a block, & his thoughts overlap fantasy & memories.]

I know this is a celebrated film.

I'd heard that it can be confusing to people on a first read/viewing.  I scoffed that I'd be "one of those people." 

I stand before you, chagrined, & "one of those people."

I could swallow that it's terribly long at 264 pgs.  I could've dealt with the non-traditional format.  I would've even been ok with slipping into fantasy & memories w/o warning.

My biggest issue was that I simply could not follow the storyline. I had no idea what the main character, Guido, wanted nor what I was supposed to experience besides confusion.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: I wish I knew why this script is #87 on the WGA list.  Could anyone help me understand this script better?

8 1/2 (1963)
by Federico Fellini

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'