Monday, May 9, 2011

TODAY'S NUGGET: #85 WGA Script of All Time - La Grande Illusion (1937)

[Crap I skipped this script by mistake. My apologies.]

[Quick Summary: At the end of WWI, a group of French officers try to escape a German POW camp.]

I know this is a classic, but I had a hard time getting into the story.

This really isn't a war film.  It's more about the relationships between men despite their nationalities, & the aristocratic soldier vs. modern warfare.

Why didn't I like it?

I guess because I found it hard to connect, except for a few small moments.

ex. When Marechal the mechanic escapes, he knocks on the home of single mother Elsa & asks for shelter. It's realistic how touch-&-go that situation could be, but he earns her trust.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: Sometimes films go over my head. And that's ok.

La Grande Illusion
by Jean Renoir & Charles Spaak
Masterworks of the French Cinema, edited by John Weightman (1974)

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'