[Quick Summary: A tight group of male friends struggle with adulthood in 1959 Baltimore.]
Before Seinfeld, there was Diner, where a group of guys talked about nothing in their favorite diner.
How can nothing be interesting? Because it's really about something.
1) Some of it is building the anticipation.
ex. Boogie, Fenwick and Billy bet on Eddie's 140 question football test for his fiancee. Eddie will call off the wedding if she does not get 70%. Will she pass?
2) The guys love to tell often told stories, which is a window into their lives.
ex. Billy beats up a total stranger. Shrevie explains to his wife that:
- Billy was jumped by a whole baseball team in high school
- Billy has beat up 7 of the 9 members
- This is number 8 of 9.
- Even though it's seven years later, Billy will not rest until he has found all nine.
In other words, Billy is stuck in time.
WHAT I'VE LEARNED: If done right, talking about nothing reveals more than something.
Written & directed by Barry Levinson