Monday, September 9, 2013

TODAY'S NUGGET: The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1944) - When I Don't Like a Script

[Quick Summary: Unintended consequences results when a young woman persuades a milk toast friend to marry her.]

Between you, me, and the lamp post, I didn't like the last script.

Nor this one either.

I used to rush on to the next good script.

But over time, I've made it a rule to take the time to analyze:

1) Why the script didn't work for me
2) One good take-away for my writing tool box

Why this script didn't work for me:
- It's very talky, without enough movement. 
- Trudy always takes advantage of Norval, even to the point of a fake marriage.
- I didn't want this couple to be together. Where's the rooting interest?

One good writing tool: Reveal coverups in the last 25% of the scene.
 - ex.  Norval pretends to be Trudy's army fiancee before the justice of the peace (coverup).  They are married (75%), then Norval signs the wrong name (25%).
- The script takes its time to stretch the coverup.  The reveal isn't too soon.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: When I don't like a script, I still need to push myself to figure out what does and does not work.

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1944)
by Preston Sturges

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'