If you're a screenwriter, this is an eye opening documentary.
It has the usual famous screenwriter interviews, but I particularly like how it shows the sacrifice and struggles of not famous writers:
- One writer has been working on a script for three years. It's tough on his family.
- Another writer has his script re-written by the director. He is not happy with the changes.
- A former creative executive-turned-writer downscales to a small apartment in order to write and direct her first film.
You get to see what it's like when:
- A writer switches managers.
- A writer seeks help from a script consultant.
- A writer gets to see his first film produced.
WHAT I'VE LEARNED: If you're serious about writing, this is as close to reality as I've seen.
But if you don't want to know how the sausage is made; if you don't want the glamor stripped from the process, don't watch this.
Dreams on Spec (2007)