[Quick Summary: A college jazz drummer's best & worst enemy is his teacher Fletcher.]
I guzzled this script like ice water in the desert.
It is EX-HIL-ER-A-TING.
It's got RHYTHM, PASSION, ENERGY!
It's my favorite Oscar nominated script this year.
I recommend reading the first ten pages...actually, the first THREE.
The first three pages told me everything:
- I knew exactly what this story is about (student vs. teacher).
- I got a sense these characters are carrying baggage.
- I felt the inner and outer conflict.
- I saw where Andrew's journey was going.
- Most importantly, the tempo starts at a simmer, so I knew it would start boiling fairly soon.
WHAT I'VE LEARNED: This story relies on rhythm and tempo to convey feelings.
The writer was so smart to establish it early and keep focused on it.
by Damien Chazelle