[Quick Summary: Superspy Ethan Hunt must track down the antidote to a disease that may infect millions.]
Let's say you're writing the second installment in a successful franchise.
How do you introduce the characters so that:
- We know these are friends of long standing, AND
- New viewers know how these characters are related, AND
- Seasoned viewers aren't bored?
A couple ways are to show:
- They share a similar sensibility (humor, sports teams, hobbies, etc.).
- They communicate in a common shorthand.
ex. "EXT. COPTER (DAY)
Billy and Luther emerge, Luther with computer looking acutely uncomfortable in a wrinkled suit.
ETHAN'S VOICE: Welcome to Australia, mate.
They look up to a smiling Ethan who points to the ground beneath Luther's feet. Luther looks down to see that he is standing in a pile of sheep-shit.
LUTHER: Thanks - mate.
Both men laugh and all three move to..."
WHAT I'VE LEARNED: We know characters are friends because we can see their ease with each another.
Mission Impossible 2 (2000)
by Robert Towne
Story by Ronald D. Moore & Brannon Braga