Monday, March 14, 2016

2016 OSCARS: The Martian (2015) - Hats Off

[Quick Summary: An American astronaut is stranded on Mars while his team tries to bring him back home.]

Hats off to you, Mr. Drew Goddard.

Hats off for making me read 118 pgs. lickety split.

Hats off for getting me emotionally invested despite all the astronaut gibber jabber that I did not understand, did not need to understand, but made me believe.

ex. "BRUCE: The hull's mostly there to keep the air in. Mars' atmosphere is so thin you don't need a lot of streamlining. By the time the ship's going fast enough for air resistance to matter, it'll be high enough that there's practically no air.

VINCENT: You're sending him to space under a tarp.

BRUCE: Yes. Can I go on?"

Hats off for the combination of humor and adventure.

ex. "ANNIE: How do you know that? Why does "Elrond" mean "secret meeting?"

BRUCE: The Council of Elrond. From Lord of the Rings. It's the meeting where they decide to destroy the One Ring.

ANNIE: I so quit right now."

Hats off to some of the best lines in my recent memory:
- "I'm gonna have to science the shit out of this."
- Pathfinder rides on top of Rover 1 like Granny Clampett.
- He labels a few ration packs as he sets them aside: "Departure," "Birthday," "Last Meal..."

Hats off for an exceptional script, both moving and poignant.

Hats off to you, sir.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: I was impressed that all the elements (narrative, dialogue, story, characters, ensemble) were balanced just right to strike the exact right tone: adventure, serious, funny, moving.  I do not know how he did it.

The Martian (2015)
by Drew Goddard
Based upon the novel by Andy Weir

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'