Monday, June 24, 2019

TODAY'S NUGGET: I Love Trouble (1994) - Catching a Character in a Lie

[Quick Summary: Hallie Peterson, the new Chronicle reporter, outscoops Globe reporter Peter Brackett over mysterious deaths of scientists.]

TWO THOUGHTS:

1) IS THIS A ROM-COM? It's more mystery than the Hallie-Peter relationship.

2) CATCHING A CHARACTER IN A LIE.  How does the audience know that the character knows the jig is up?  Often by the reactions of other characters.

For example, in the scene below:
- Peter has submitted one of his old newspaper columns to his editor Greenfield. 
- Greenfield remembers seeing it before.
- From Greenfield's reaction, the audience puts 2 + 2 together that Peter realizes he has been caught.
- Notice the script does not tell us Peter's reaction. 

ex. "INT. CITY ROOM

...Greenfield looks at Peter with hooded eyes, says nothing.

PETER: Don't give me that hound dog look, I don't cover the beat anymore.

GREENFIELD: And I don't print recycled columns.

PETER: I don't believe what I'm hearing. Are you accusing me of --

GREENFIELD (to Copy Boy): --Pull up Brackett's columns from the mid-eighties. Something like, 'Gun Shy', 'Guns of Something...', 'Guns and Roses'...

Peter starts to object...

GREENFIELD (remembers): 'Johnny Got A Gun'!"

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: I never know if my intent is clear enough to the reader. Is my writing clear about how I want them to put 2 + 2 together? Or am I too vague?

I think this is one of those things that benefits from feedback from colleagues.

I Love Trouble (1994)(revised draft, 6/2/93)
by Nancy Meyers and Charles Shyer

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'