Monday, August 12, 2019

TODAY'S NUGGET: Multiplicity (1996) - Clever Way to Show the Protagonist's Flaw

[Quick Summary: To have more time, Doug clones himself to help with work and family, but then he misses out on the life that the clones are living for him.]

BAD NEWS: This script was started to drag about half-way through. 

Why?  As one critic put it:
As it is, the promising material of “Multiplicity” gets awfully thin. It feels more like a short film grown long, which is death to a comedy.
GOOD NEWS: The first half lays out the premise well in an economical manner.

Also, I really liked how the writers introduced the protagonist's flaw.

Doug is a general contractor and a good family man, but he's a workaholic.

The scene below shows us in one scene how Doug is trying to juggle everything and failing.  His flaw is not knowing what he wants and failing to prioritize.

ex. "INT. THE PICKUP - CONTINUOUS

Doug juggles the cellular phone and a cup of McDonald's coffee as he pops a couple of Tums.

DOUG (bugged): All right, fax the plans to me in the car...Okay, go.

He pushes a couple of buttons on his car fax and hears a beep.

DOUG: Hold on --I got another call. (he hits call-waiting) Hello?... Oh, hi, babe. How's it going (it's his wife, who he loves) I don't know when I'll be home. Why?... What's "bridging"?

The fax machine comes alive and starts spitting out shredded paper.

DOUG: Shit!...No, not that -- my fax is screwing up. Hold on a sec, okay? (back to the guy on hold) Eddie, you have to send it again. My fax machine just ate it... What brand? "piece of shit." It's an off-brand.

He angrily rips the shredded paper out of the fax and spills his coffee on his lap.

DOUG: Goddamn it!...What?! No, not you. I just spilled my coffee. Hold on... (back to his wife, mopping up coffee from between his legs) I'm sorry, babe. This is like a bad dream. What's this "bridging" thing?...Oh yeah, Jennifer -- Daisies to Brownies. Right, I remember. (he doesn't) Six-thirty -- I'm writing it down -- (he isn't) Okay, I love you, too. See you later.

The fax machine makes a terrible grinding noise and starts shredding more paper. Doug slams his fist down on it."

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: I thought the juggling in a confined space was very clever because the juggling is not just a metaphor, but literal (car fax, phone, coffee).

Multiplicity (1996)(rev by Harold Ramis, 5/10/95)
by Chris Miller & Mary Hale and Lowell Ganz & Babaloo Mandel

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'