Monday, December 16, 2019

TODAY'S NUGGET: The Falcon and the Snowman (1985) - Criminal With Scruples

[Quick Summary: In 1970s L.A., two childhood friends (a gov't code room clerk and a minor drug pusher) sell classified secrets to the Russians.]

I'd like to paint humans as all good or bad, but it would be boring and untrue.

Humans are a mix of good, bad, and the contradictory.

This is especially apparent in criminals with scruples like the Daulton character. 

He comes from a good home, yet he is a heroin addict.

He loves his family, yet he runs his drug business from his parents' pool house.

He is loyal to his childhood friend Chris, yet will end up blackmailing him.

So why do we even empathize with Daulton?

He does aspire to higher moral ground occasionally, especially concerning Chris.

Note in the scene below:
- Chris and Daulton are in their early 20s.
- Chris has just come back to town.  His first stop is Daulton's family's home.
- They have just sat down to breakfast in the backyard.
- Notice Daulton has Chris' best interests in mind...but it is also self-serving.
- Also notice the shorthand between them that signals a long-standing friendship.

ex. EXT. LEE BACKYARD - DAY

...CHRIS: Changed my mind -- no seminary -- couldn't go through with it, what've you been up to?

DAULTON: What're you talking about?

CHRIS: Give me some cantaloupe.

DAULTON: This is some kind of bad joke.

Chris shakes his head 'no,' and salts cantaloupe.  For one of the few times in Daulton's life, he is speechless. Chris smiles proudly, but Daulton's less-than-thrilled reaction kills it.

CHRIS: Come on, congratulate me, I finally came to my senses.  Took me longer than you but at least I did it.

Daulton forks an egg, stirs it around, doesn't congratulate him, doesn't even want to look at him. This is very weird...Chris expected any reaction other than this one.

CHRIS: What.

DAULTON: Forget it.

CHRIS: What --

DAULTON: What -- how many people can say that their priest and their best friend are the same person?

CHRIS: I don't believe this --

DAULTON: I could go to Confession and tell the truth...yeah, laugh, I was counting on you.

CHRIS: You tried to talk me out of it how many times?

DAULTON: So what, I didn't mean it.

CHRIS: When's the last time you even went to Mass?

DAULTON: I still go on the Holy Days and - that has nothing to do with anything -- you've disappointed me.

They study each other. Daulton eventually stops thinking about himself and what this means to him...

DAULTON: What'd you tell your folks?

CHRIS: They don't know I'm back yet.

DAULTON: That'll be interesting.

CHRIS: This is interesting.

DAULTON (eventually): Are you all right?

CHRIS: I will be.

DAULTON: What can I do?

CHRIS: Get my mind off it by whatever means necessary.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: The Chris-Daulton scenes are the best parts of this script. 

They are full of trust and comradery, and are a direct contrast to Daulton's solo scenes where he continues to bemoan that he can't trust anyone.

The Falcon and the Snowman (1985)(4th revisions, 11/17/83)
by Steve Zaillian
Based on the book, The Falcon and the Snowman: A True Story of Friendship and Espionage, by Robert Lindsey

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'