Monday, March 23, 2020

TODAY'S NUGGET: L'Avventura (The Adventure) (1960) - Showing Disconnection

[Quick Summary: When Anna goes missing, her friend Claudia and boyfriend Sandro search for her and end up falling for each other.]

This is a not a Hollywood three act script and it did not annoy me.

I supposed it is because:

1) It is an European film from the 1960s.

2) These characters are lost and searching for meaning, so I was not surprised when the script meandered as well.

Below is the moment I realized these these characters are disconnected from each other and the situation, i.e., Anna's reaction does not match the situation. 

ex.  Even before he has a chance to be surprised at the old man's remark, Sandro becomes aware that Anna is laughing. It is not the hysterical laugh that normally might be expected after such a close call. It is, instead a pure and simple laugh, almost a happy one, and leaves both Sandro and Claudia plainly baffled.

CLAUDIA: There's nothing much to laugh at.

SANDRO: And that's what I say, too. We could have all been killed.

Anna looks at them as she continues to laugh.

ANNA: I'm sorry...but I can't help laughing.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: When I didn't insist the characters arc in the way that I am used to, I could appreciate what was actually going on, i.e., a story about disconnection.

L'Avventura (1960)
by Michelangelo Antonioni, Elio Bartolini, Tonino Guerra
Translated by Louis Brigante

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'