Monday, April 5, 2021

2021 OSCARS: Sound of Metal (2020) - Using Structure to Showcase Internal Conflict

[Quick Summary: A workaholic rocker is at a loss when he loses his hearing.]

This is a noteworthy script, especially how it captures a futile attempt to control the moment in a season of change.

Rubin tries to hold on to the past, while reaching for the future, but cannot do both.

In the scene below:
- Rubin needs to sell his Airstream for ear surgery.
- Rubin is trying to move forward (surgery) while holding on to the past (his equipment).
- Notice the scene is structured to show Rubin's internal conflict (he wants both) and forces him to make a decision (he can only pick one)

INT. AIRSTREAM - MOMENTS LATER

The man writes a number down and slides it to Ruben. Ruben looks at the paper and grins...

RUBIN (Waving hand all around): Man, you know exactly what I have here right? I mean really. I don't need to sell this. I REALLY don't. I'd be happy to keep it dude.

Ruben looks dead into the mans eyes. The man shrugs stiffly.

MAN: I understand. So Listen -

The man writes a number and slides a piece of paper across the table to Ruben. 

MAN (CONT'D): This is it. That's all I'm doing so-

Ruben gazes at the piece of paper. Looks up at the guy.

RUBEN: ...So I have a proposition for you. honestly it's the only way I'd even consider- (Gesturing to the paper) This. But here's the deal though...You and I both know that this is worth a hell of a lot more than what you're offering...it's fully wired as a recording studio. You know how much, just that is worth?

The man begins to protest-

RUBEN (CONT'D): Hey, Common. Just don't. I know the fiar price for this and I know you do too and this, (Pointing to his number) -is a fucking joke.

The man shrugs coldly.

RUBEN (CONT'D):  But I have an idea. What if I were to give it to you at this price?

The man looks up...

RUBEN (CONT'D): With the condition that I have the option to buy it back from you for ten percent more than you're paying me within like...a couple months from now.

The man looks at Ruben like he's nuts. From Ruben's POV...

MAN (SILENCE W/T SUBTITLES): Why?

RUBEN: But it's got to remain it it's current condition, everything in place (gesturing)

The man considers as Ruben waits. The son gives a thumbs up. Ruben wants to rip his throat out.

MAN: I can give you a month-

Ruben signals to the guy to write it down. He does. Ruben looks at it.

RUBEN: Five weeks. Pay pal's ideal.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: It's very helpful that the structure forces a decision, which surfaces the character's conflicts and priorities.

I am surprised by how deeply the script moved me, and how the scenes have lingered with me. 

Sound of Metal (2020)
by Darius Marder and Abraham Marder

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'