Monday, May 31, 2021

TODAY'S NUGGET: Man on Fire (2004) - Resuscitating an Action Hero's Hope (Emotional Stakes)

[Quick Summary: When an ex-army security guard fails to protect his client, a precocious 9 yr. old girl in Mexico City, he exacts his own justice on the killers.]

This script impressed me because:

1) It spends a 50% developing the relationship between Creasy and 9 yr. old Pinta. 

2) With these emotional stakes established, his rage is easier to justify in the last 50%.  He begins emotionally dead --> she brings him hope --> she is kidnapped --> he retaliates.

In the scene below, notice the small things Pinta does that gives Creasy hope: She pays attention to what he's been doing. She's amusing. She gives him her trust.

INT. MERCEDES - ROLLING - DAY

Creasy driving. Pinta looking noble and brave.

...PINTA (distant): You should break all my fingers, Creasy, then tape them back together. I wont' be able to play the piano, but I could still swim.

CREASY: Don't be a baby. You're tougher than that.

PINTA: There's no such thing as tough, Creasy. Just trained and untrained.

CREASY (smiles): Then be trained.

PINTA: I'm going to keep people safe someday. Just like you.

CREASY: Be a swimmer.

PINTA: I could do it. Remember the day you wanted the pencil? I know why. And I saw that car again. I wrote the license number in my notebook. Except I missed the last number.

Creasy checks his mirror, nothing back there now. He then looks at Pinta. A bit amazed.

CREASY: You'll have to show me that number when we get home.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: Don't be afraid to take your time laying the emotional stakes. The action later will have more impact because of that investment.

Man on Fire (2004)(2/10/03, v.2)
by Brian Helgeland
Based on the novel by A.J. Quinnell

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'