Monday, October 25, 2021

TODAY'S NUGGET: McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971) - Knowing Your Director's Process; Tone Turns to Business

[Quick Summary: In 1897, McCabe opens a tavern and brothel (run by his partner Mrs. Miller), but becomes a target when he won't sell out to a mining corporation.]

TWO THOUGHTS:

1) KNOWING THE DIRECTOR'S PROCESS. Director/writer Robert Altman was an auteur, but also was known for making bitter enemies out of his writers. 

I think most writers could've handled: 
- His disregard for the script (very common in the industry)
- His organic, ever changing method of film making (very common)
- His concern for emotional rather than literal accuracy (very common)

However, I think the crux was that he would've done it all himself if he could have (something every writer should be aware of):

Brian McKay, who has worked with Altman more frequently than any other writer, says, “If you want me to get in line with the rest of the angry writers, I will, but it’s more complicated than that. I think what Bob really wants is the European credit: ‘A Film by Robert Altman.’ And, often, he deserves it.” Seven years ago Altman told McKay, “Remember this. I take all the credit and most of the money when you work with me.” Through several television series, “Brewster McCloud,” “McCabe & Mrs. Miller” and a number of never-made films, McKay remembered. “Now I don’t think I’ll ever work with Bob again,” McKay says, but he looks back on the association with affection. “I can’t think of one person who was hurt from his association with Bob Altman—except emotionally.”

2) TONE TURNS TO BUSINESS.  As Ebert points out here, this is a business relationship between McCabe and Mrs. Miller.  

I was surprised how fast the tone could turn, even after love making:

INT. MRS. MILLER'S BEDROOM

...McCABE: You don't never find no better man than me, Madame.

CONSTANCE: I never belonged to a m an before and I never will --You want to do something for me? Buy me out, you cheap son-of-a-bitch and let me go to San Francisco and build my boarding house.

McCABE: That's what you'd like, isn't it?

CONSTANCE: You're Goddamn right it is. What do you think? That you're some great lover or something? You don't even take off your long johns. Sleeping with you's like taking a bath with your socks on.

McCABE: Well, figure out what you got coming, 'cause I had an offer yesterday from the Bearpaw Territorial Mining Company.

All the foregoing words were shouted in anger and designed to hurt by both of them...but a real offer to sell is something else again. Mrs. Miller thinks on her reply before she answers, her tone changing.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: Part of the tragedy was that the script kept everything transactional, even the romantic bits.  It kept the tone consistent and realistic.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
by Brian McKay and Robert Altman
Based on the novel, "McCabe," by Edmund Naughton

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'