Monday, July 25, 2022

TODAY'S NUGGET: Life with Father (1947) - How to Show Cupid's Arrow Has Landed (Setup-Payoff)

[Quick Summary: In the 1880s, Father rules the roost (not really) with a clever wife and four red-headed boys.]

A colleague recommended this film to me, though I'd not heard of it.

Once I saw the line up of talent,* I knew I had to find the script.

Comedy is often based on reversals. The unexpected and ironic makes us laugh, especially when Cupid is involved.  So how can those arrows land with a big laugh?

FIRST: Set up the status quo.  

ex. Prior to the scene below, we see 18 y.o. Clarence told to practice his violin, which he does not like.  Also he is irritated he has to give his room up to visiting guests.

SECOND: Create conflict or a change.

ex. In the scene below, he meets one of the guests (Mary).

THIRD: Show change(s) in behavior that directly contradict previous behavior.

ex. In the scene below, he is playing violin and happy to have given up his room.

FULL SHOT  TOP OF STAIRS

Vinnie and Cora exit into the bedroom. Mary looks down the stairs to Clarence at the foot of the stairs.  Clarence with his violin starts toward the parlor.

MARY: Cora didn't tell me about you. I never met a Yale man before.

Clarence turns, almost smiling.

MARY: Oh, you play the violin.

CLARENCE: I fool with it a little.

MARY: You're just being modest.

CLARENCE: No, really --

MARY: I play the piano -- not awfully well, but --

CLARENCE: Now you're being modest.

MARY: Do you play duets?

CLARENCE: I haven't up to now.

MARY: Neither have I -- up to now.

She gives him a devastating smile, turns and hurries up stairs. At the far end of the hall John enters carrying the bags. He notices Clarence staring ecstatically up after Mary.

JOHN: What happened to you?

CLARENCE (dazedly): Nothing -- I feel fine.

Clarence lifts his violin and starts to play "Sweet Genevieve" passionately as John continues up the stairs with the bags looking back at Clarence with amazement.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: I really liked that there's no talk of love or falling in love.  The character doesn't even know what hit him!  Yet all there in his odd behavior.

Life with Father (1947)(2/6/46 final draft)
by Donal Ogden Stewart and Robert Buckner
From the play by Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse

*First, I'll read anything written by Donald Ogden Stewart (Philadelphia Story). Second, I'll see anything directed by Michael Curtiz (Casablanca) at least once.  Then there's one of my favorite actors William Powell (Thin Man), the talented comedy heroine Irene Dunne (Awful Truth), and a young Elizabeth Taylor.   

Also, each one of the above is an Oscar winner or nominee.

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'