Monday, March 13, 2023

2023 OSCARS: Glass Onion (2022) - Commenting on Society/Culture/Politics Through Character Attitude

[Quick Summary: Detective Benoit Blanc receives an invitation to millionaire's party in Greece, and discovers a web of lies leading to a death.]

On a mystery level, I like this second Benoit Blanc script less than the previous one.

On a character level, however, this one seems to have bolder characters, with more nuanced, distinct  attitudes.* 

In the scene below, we meet a spoiled Birdie. How do we know she's privileged and spoiled?  Notice her attitude toward people and her surroundings:

INT. APARTMENT

...Finally we land on ex-model, magazine editor and fashion designer BIRDIE JAY (40s.) A few men are, at any given moment, always paying attention to her, and she looks both fabulous and sick of life.

BIRDIE: I'm so bored. Peg! Where's Peg? Peggggggg!

Birdie's long suffering assistant PEG (late 20s) shuffles in the door holding a familiar CARDBOARD BOX, which she deposits on the coffee table.

PEG: I'm here. (spots off-screen) Please stop fire spinning inside!

            BIRDIE:                                             PEG
Pegggg I'm so bored. give me
my phone just a little just
a little phone time just a                            No phone.
tiny little phone time

MODEL: Why can't she have her phone?

DANCER: Because she's mean.

Birdie rolls her eyes and sarcastically does air quotes:

BIRDIE: No. It's cause she's afraaaaid. I'll tweeeeet. AN ethnic slurrrr. Agaaaaain.

PEG: You agreed, no phone for the rest of the media cycle.

BIRDIE: I didn't even know that word referred to Jewish people, I though it was just a generic term for "cheap."

Peg blinks at her.

PEG: "Jewy??"

BIRDIE: Everything's so woke these days it's out of control.

VAMPIRE IN TUXEDO: Yes.

Peg pulls away cardboard, revealing the WOOD BOX.

BIRDIE: I'm sorry I say it like I see it, no filter, if people can't handle that it's their problem what's this?

PEG: A guy dropped it off - 

Birdie picks up the card and seeing who it's from lights up:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: It's not so much the situation (Birdie + phone) but the character's attitude (no thought to how she handles people; sulking when confronted).

Glass Onion (2022)
by Rian Johnson

* I applaud the writer/director Rian Johnson for trying to do new things in the genre.

He has said in interviews that he realized that mystery genre can do much more than he thought, ex. comment on society, politics, culture, etc.

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'