Friday, June 11, 2010

TODAY'S NUGGET: How I Know It's Good Writing

Today I want to talk about good writing.

[Why? Because I've seen too much bad writing this week, but I digress.]

I know it's Good Writing when...

- I remember your scene even though it's six months later.

- I quote your dialogue back to you.  (And I rarely quote dialogue word for word.)

- I can act out your scene to strangers in the grocery store.

- I can pitch your script to my far-from-the-industry-sister without a pained expression because I actually get your script. (And she likes it, which is a good sign. Because after all, she's your if-I-like-it-I-will-buy-all-the-paraphernalia type.)

- You made me glad you scared the crap out of me.  Because I don't like to be scared, and if you can make me glad, then you've really done an outstanding job.  (Didja follow that?)

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: Good writing inspires others to get passionate, to get behind the script, to fund the movie. 

So it all comes back to the page.  You're only as good (or bad) as your product.

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'