Thursday, June 17, 2010

TODAY'S NUGGET: Monkey on Your Back

I started to read a drama spec written by an A list writer about a month ago.  But I had to put it down, but not for the usual reasons.

Frankly, it was scary as hell.

I've read more violent horror scripts.

I've read more psychologically jarring scripts.

But this script crept into the space between my body and my soul, & freaked me out about the things I take for granted, like being able to identify my blind spot.

It was like a monkey that clings to your back. You get rid of the monkey & think you're safe. But then you look in the mirror & see that that monkey has hidden in that blind spot & never left - - & may never leave.

The writer kept the pressure on, even in the lulls.  He increased the tension to pitch levels by mixing a few false sightings of that monkey, a few real reflections of the Evil Antagonist, and false imaginations. 

Oh, and add the disappointment of your family? Deadly.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: Sometimes fear is knowing that a monkey is going to give you rabies & you just can't avoid it.

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'