Friday, January 28, 2011

TODAY'S NUGGET: #98 WGA Script of All Time - Grapes of Wrath (1940)

[Quick Summary: A poor Oklahoma family loses their farm during the Depression and treks to California in hope of finding work.]

I don't know much about Steinbeck. 

Heck, I'm far from a literary genius, so I'll be honest: I just didn't care for this script.

However, I did admire the details that make you feel the Depression up close & personal.  You begin to worry about your empty belly. You'd get upset too if you couldn't feed your family on 2 1/2 cents an hour. 

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: Too many details can create a wall between you & the reader. 

The right ones can win over a skeptic.

The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
by Nunnally Johnson

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'