Friday, February 25, 2011

TODAY'S NUGGET: #94 WGA Script of All Time - Patton (1970)

[Quick Summary: This film depicts the war career of WWII General George S. Patton, a controversial, but wily leader of the US Army.]

I liked reading this script because it's a look at Coppola's writing before "The Godfather."

Patton was larger than life, & Coppola does not shy away from showing all of Patton, including the less admirable traits.

However, I admit that if he pitched it to me in 1969, I might've been one of his many doubters.

Why? In reading the script, I wasn't swept away. Yes, I was impressed at Patton's character traits, the sweep of what he accomplished, his faults.

But I didn't connect with Patton's story on the page and I'm one of those people who enjoy biopics. What went wrong?

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: I'm still flummoxed. I should've connected, but didn't.

Patton (1970)
by Francis Ford Coppola & Edmund North

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'