Friday, February 11, 2011

TODAY'S NUGGET: #96 WGA Script of All Time - The Hustler (1961)

[Quick Summary: To win against the great Minnesota Fats, Eddie, a talented (but temper prone) pool shark, must learn what 'character' is.]

I inhaled at "FADE IN" & only exhaled at "THE END." 

It seemed as if I'd read one continuous story, & I didn't notice any transitions, sluglines, or breaks. 

My heart broke for these characters. 

I suppose it's because:

1) they're so flawed & a bit raw, &
2) when they jumped an obstacle, there was a bigger one waiting.

ex. When Eddie takes care of Sarah, it's the first step beyond his self-centeredness.  They bond, but soon he gets a chance to compete in another town & must leave her.  She never asks him to stay...just that "I made you up, like everything else....I wanted you to be real."

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: Character arcs thrive on showing flaws, overcoming obstacles, then making even bigger decisions.

The Hustler (1961)
by Sidney Carroll & Robert Rossen

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'