Saturday, February 23, 2013

2013 OSCARS: Django Unchained (2012) - I'll Admire From Afar

[Quick Summary: A black ex-slave turned bounty hunter rescues his wife from her plantation slave owner.]

Here's my two cents on this Oscar nominated winning script:

#1 - There are several tortures, rapes, and senseless killings.

They are not gratuitous.  Each one has a purpose.

However, I have a nasty suspicion that the cruelty depicted could easily have happened...and it made the ugliness ten times worse to stomach.

#2 -  The script shows Tarantino knows story and how to tell it.

His skill is the only thing that makes this terrible topic bearable.

Is the script worth reading? Yes.  It is daring, provocative, and unafraid.

Would I read it again? No.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED:  I admire this script for its audacity.

However, I did not enjoy the read, particularly the inhumane violence against Broomhilda.

Django Unchained (2012)
Written and directed by Quentin Tarantino

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'