Monday, March 31, 2014

TODAY'S NUGGET: The Magnificent Seven (1960) - One Scene Changed My Mind

[Quick Summary: Seven gunslingers are hired to protect a farming town from thieves.]

I wasn't prepared for this turning point in the script.

It made me feel for Chris:

"HILARIO: It would be a blessing if you helped us.

CHRIS: I'm sorry - I'm not in the blessing business.

HILARIO: No, no. We offer more than that. We could feed you every day.

TOMAS: And we have this.......

Out of a bandana, Tomas lays on the bed, we see, as he spreads it open ---everything of value from the village; inexpensive jewelry, medallions, the Old Man's watch - etc.

CHRIS: What's that?

TOMAS: It's everything we own, everything of value in the village.

CHRIS: I've been offered a lot for my work, but never everything."

This reversal was very effective:  

- Chris turns down the job offer.
- The villagers offer him (literally) everything they have.
- Their plight stirs something in him (perhaps the challenge)?
- He changes his mind to help.

I was much more moved by this moment of compassion than the later violence.

After this scene, Chris was a richer, deeper character for me.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: Can one scene changed my mind about a character? Yes!

The Magnificent Seven (1960)
by Walter Newman

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'