Monday, March 26, 2018

2018 OSCARS: Molly's Game (2017) - Assumptions & Doling Out Information

[Quick Summary: Former Olympian-turned-high-stakes-poker-acilitator Molly Bloom seeks a criminal attorney to defend her against federal racketeering charges.]

Two thoughts:

A) PROCESS OF ADAPTATION. I'm fascinated by the evolution of this project.

-The book was written before Molly was arrested.
-Sorkin realized that LOTS of interesting stuff happened before and after publication.
-If Sorkin had limited himself to the book, it would've been an entertaining, but typical story focusing on glitz and glam, rather than a deeper character study.
- The script uses the book, but relied heavily on personal interviews.

B) ASSUMPTIONS.
"She [Molly, who he met] wasn't who I expected her to be." - Sorkin
This is a complex story, as per usual with the material Sorkin chooses.

I was interested in how he used assumptions to dole out information.

In the exchange below with an attorney that she hopes to hire,  Molly is loyal to her former boss and clients but not these four clients. [Why? It's explained later.] 

ex. "CHARLIE (pause): Let me ask you something. Reardon -- in the book --he didn't say "Poor people bagels," did he. (beat) I think I know who he is, I think I know a real estate lawyer who worked with him and quit. He called them "nigger bagels," right?

MOLLY (pause): I'm not telling you his name, he's not involved in this. [She protects her former not-so-nice boss?]

CHARLIE: But you were willing to name the movie stars.

MOLLY: None of that matters. Why is the FBI arresting me two years after -- [She sold out on former clients? Why?]

CHARLIE: Were you paid extra in your book deal to name the movie stars?

MOLLY (pause): Yes. [Ah! An answer! But we learn later this isn't the full story....]

CHARLIE: I'm not your guy, Molly. I wish you good luck but this just isn't for me.  [We understand why Charlie is reluctant to represent her.]

MOLLY hears that but still doesn't leave."

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: This script is structured to allow the set ups enough time to play out.  There was no rush to get to the pay offs. They had to be earned.

ex. In the above scene, Molly let others think the worst of her and there was no rush to defend herself.

Molly's Game (2017)(dated 12/29/15)
by Aaron Sorkin
Adapted from the book by Molly Bloom

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'