Monday, April 2, 2018

2018 OSCARS: Mudbound (2017) - Using One Topic For Multiple Reasons in One Scene

[Quick Summary: Two contrasting, interlinked stories in post-WWII Mississippi: a tenant family, and the new family who has bought the land.]

This was a good script, though it wasn't my cup of tea.

I did like how the writers structured scenes for maximum impact.

One technique was the use of a single topic, but used in multiple ways in one scene.

For example, in the scene below, the topic is "how many did Jamie killed in the war?"

It is being used to show:
- Jamie vs. Pappy (to show difference in attitudes)
- Jamie vs. Jamie (to show how Jamie sees himself)
- Henry discovers what has changed Jamie and why

Why does this work? Why am I not confused, even when Jamie contradicts himself? 

I think it's because the writers kept to one topic.  It's clear and easy to follow.

ex. "Pappy smiles with his yellow teeth. Jamie shifts in his chair and lights one cigarette with another.

PAPPY (CONT'D): One thing's for sure. You must'a killed a whole lotta Krauts to get all them medals. (beat) Well, how many'd you take out?

JAMIE: I don't know.

PAPPY: Take a guess.

JAMIE: I don't know. Why's it matter?

PAPPY: A man ought to know how many men he's killed.

Henry returns with the bottle and a glass. Jamie quickly uncorks it and pours heavily. He gulps it down and refills. Henry is surprised.

JAMIE: I can tell you this. (beat) It was more than one. [Jamie provokes Pappy. Out of spite? Resentment? Disagreement?]

HENRY (under his breath): Aw, shit.

Pappy's eyes narrow and he seethes for a beat, then smirks:

PAPPY: Well, at least I looked my one in the eye before I shot him. Not like dropping bombs from a mile up in the air.  [The topic brings out Pappy's attitude, which contrasts with Jamie's.]

Jame throws back his drink and pours another. Then there is uncomfortable silence until Henry interrupts:

HENRY: Well, good time to hit the hay. Got an early day tomorrow. [Henry is a peacemaker.]

JAMIE: I'll just finish my drink.

Pappy absorbs this, grabs a lantern and shuffles out....Henry starts to move off.

JAMIE: Actually it was more like four. [Jamie's truth comes out.]

HENRY: What? [He is awakening that there is more going on.]

JAMIE: Miles up in the air. The altitude we dropped bombs from.

HENRY: How can you even see anything from that high up?

JAMIE: You'd be surprised. Roads, cities, factories. Just not people. From twenty thousand feet they're not even ants. (beat) Pappy's right. A man ought to know.  [This seems to contradict his boasting above. But above, it was to poke at Pappy. Here, it's turned on himself. Self-loathing?]

Jamie is haunted. Henry is concerned."

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: I liked that the writers showed me something new that I'd not seen before. 

Mudbound (2017)
by Virgil Williams and Dee Rees
Adapted from the novel by Hillary Jordan

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'