Monday, September 3, 2018

TODAY'S NUGGET: Mother (1996) - Irony; Very Small Things; Entrenched

[Quick Summary: As an experiment, John, a twice divorced 40 y.o. man moves back in with his mother Beatrice to find out what is the root of his problems with women.]

Why is this script funny?

Because it made me chuckle a lot? Yes.

Because it was clever and multi-layered? Yes.

But mostly, I think it was the way it skewered family dynamics that are so, so familiar.  These characters are entrenched in their positions over very small things.

ex. "INT. SAFEWAY MARKET - DAY

...They stop at the jellies. There's Smucker's, Welch's, and all the standard brands. Then there's one luxury brand for $10.95. It's wrapped up in tissue paper and has a ribbon on it. John takes that. Beatrice almost has a heart attack.

BEATRICE: Oh, don't buy that.

JOHN: Why?

BEATRICE: Because that's a waste of money. You can get a whole jar here for $2.50. Why do you want to spend $10.95? [Arguing about...jelly = Very small things.]

JOHN: Cause this looks like good jelly and thank God we can afford it. Let's experience this together.

BEATRICE: I don't want this experience. You're fooled by these names and all that fancy wrapping. [She's convinced he's being taken.]

JOHN: I'm not fooled by anything. This is not what the experiment's about. It's not about being fooled. It's about splurging. See, I realized something. I think you treat yourself very cheaply, and I think that therefore you have instilled that into me. [He's convinced that she's seeing things narrowly.]

BEATRICE: Honey, I don't treat myself cheaply at all. I lived through a Depression. You didn't.

JOHN: Things aren't so great right now.

BEATRICE: Well it's not like it was in the thirties. You don't have to wait in line to buy bread.

John looks to his left. There's a huge line over by the bakery. The camera sees it. No one says anything. [Irony!]"

WHAT I'VE LEARNED:  I liked how the script poked fun at familiar situations using irony, very small things, and deep commitment to one's position.

Mother (1996)(final draft, June 1995)
by Albert Brooks and Monica Johnson

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'