Monday, October 15, 2018

TODAY'S NUGGET: Living Out Loud (1998) - Creating the Bittersweet Goodbye Moment

[Quick Summary: A lonely, divorced nurse and the lonely, divorced elevator man meet at a difficult time, but want different things in a relationship.]

****WARNING: ENDING SPOILERS AHEAD****

How do you create a satisfying ending when the couple does not end up together?

I think it is the quality of the setup and payoff.

SETUP

In this story, Pat starts to fall in love with Judith and wants to spend time together. 

She is frank with him: I don't know if this is a good idea and I don't want to hurt you.

He is equally up front: Anything could happen. I'm ok with that, if you are. 

As time passes, their dreams are coming true: Judith is now in pediatric nursing. Pat will be flying to Italy to start a business importing olive oil. 

The only question left is their relationship.  Unfortunately, they want different things.

PAYOFF

The scene below is near the end of Act 3. 

Pat is flying to Italy for the first time and wants Judith to go.  She puts him off.

Then she talks about her single, available friend Donna. 

Notice how this is the bittersweet goodbye that neither of them saw coming.

ex. "INT. RESTAURANT - NIGHT

...As Judith looks through her bag for the number, we can see Pat registering very clearly what she is doing. The look of someone who saw it coming - but is nevertheless stung by the pain. Judith hands him a piece of paper.

PAT: Thanks.

Judith sees his face. They exchange a look and know what they are doing.

PAT: It bothered you didn't it? What I did? What I was?

JUDITH: No...Not at all... Pat...I..I can never thank you enough.

PAT (trying to understand): It's because you got alot ahead of you, right? Alot of things you have to do?

JUDITH: That's just it, I don't know what's ahead of me. But I...I don't think I'll be able to see it, if...if I have someone standing in front of me.

Pat considers this and nods. Then jokes;

PAT: What if I stand behind you?

Judith laughs, gratefully...Pat smiles...

PAT: No...really. It's OK..I..I always knew this...was... (fighting breaking down) I always knew...deep down..I just forgot, you know..I'm like..one episode in your life. You're the kind of woman that has many in a lifetime. That's why you stand out. I got a little greedy, that's all. As usual, ha..I wanted to make it a long one..And I don't say that to make you feel bad or anything. I just want you to know I understand. No one's to blame...

Judith nods gratefully, tears forming. Pat tries to smiles.

PAT: You have beautiful things ahead of you. See, I always thought that - when I'd look at you. I was just waiting for you to catch on.

Judith leans her head into the nape of his neck and kisses him, resting their for a moment. Pat dies inside but;

PAT: It's gonna be terrific. You wait and see. You wait and see..

He holds her. He wishes they could stay like that forever. Then,

PAT: Look, I..uh...I'm gonna go, OK? I...

Judith lifts her head. She suddenly doesn't want him to go. But knows it would be wrong to say so. She nods.

PAT: Why don't I..uh..give you a call when you get back..when I get back from uh..Italy and uh..ya know..catch up..OK?

JUDITH: Yeah. Well, when Liz and I get our place I'll call Philly with the number so that when you get back from Italy..ya know..

Pat smiles. He knows neither will call the other. But he's grateful for the life. He leans in and kisses her cheek. He rises and exits. Judith sits alone."

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: The setup begins when Judith essentially asks Pat, "Do you want to jump into a relationship? It could hurt." 

They payoff was bittersweet:  It was bitter because it did hurt, but it was sweet because the journey was worth it.

Living Out Loud (1998)(originally titled "The Kiss"; 9/4/96 interim draft)
by Richard LaGravenese

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'