Monday, October 1, 2018

TODAY'S NUGGET: The Ghost & the Darkness (1996) - Musing on a Change from an Earlier Draft

[Quick Summary: In 1898, Tsavo, Africa, two man-eating lions prey on an encampment of bridge workers.]

I usually do not read earlier drafts, but make the occasional exception, ex. whenever I can get my hands on early William Goldman scripts.

Here, I was curious about how much was changed from the earlier to the later draft. 

Answer? Not much.

I did wish they had kept a minor thing: the personal conflict between the protagonist (Patterson) and the experienced hunter (Redbeard).

In the final draft, the two men first meet in Tsavo. It was ok, but predictable.

In the earlier draft, they have prior history that is still unsettled. Conflict and tension!

I understand why they didn't keep it, but I thought it made the characters more 3-D.

Here's the scene from the earlier draft:

ex. "REDBEARD'S TENT. Night.  He is finished unpacking -- there's not a lot to do, the man travels light. He takes several thick books out of a sack, places them in a pile on the table by his cot. No sound. REDBEARD is facing away from the tent opening.

REDBEARD: I have no secrets, come in.

PATTERSON moves into the opening. He looks at the cot.

PATTERSON: You used to sleep on the floor.

REDBEARD: I used to have more hair.

PATTERSON: Don't you think you went a bit far, calling me "Patton"?

REDBEARD: I was giving you the lead -- Beaumont said you didn't want me here. I wasn't sure you wanted to acknowledge me.

PATTERSON: I don't much -- but you are, so now we have to deal with that reality.

REDBEARD: It shouldn't be so hard. We both want the same thing.

PATTERSON: And what is that?

REDBEARD: Why, the lions, of course.

PATTERSON: I want more, I want you to fail.

REDBEARD: After all these years nothing has changed -- was what I did that terrible? (PATTERSON simply stares at the other man. Finally, REDBEARD turns away) It was. I know it was. Of course it was."

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: Life is messy. The scene above reflects it well. I wonder if the powers-that-be preferred a neater, less messy version?

The Ghost & the Darkness (1996)(undated; possibly shooting draft)
The Ghost & the Darkness (1996)(3rd draft, Jan., 1994)
by William Goldman

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'