Monday, January 14, 2019

TODAY'S NUGGET: Goodbye Girl (1977) - The Two Step Wrap Up in Act 3

[Quick Summary: When her boyfriend sublets their apartment without a word, a dancer and her daughter are forced to live with the sublessor, an eccentric actor.]

*****NOTE: SPOILERS AHEAD*****************

When the protagonist has a flaw in Act 1, he/she usually faces it in Act 3 --> Then the story wraps up on an up or down note.

This script is a comedy (maybe a rom-com?), and I expected it to end on an up note.

The protagonist does face her flaw in Act 3, but it was on a bittersweet note.

I still felt left in the lurch, and wondered, "Is this how it's going to end? She essentially says, 'I love you,' but we never know what he says.  Does he ever say it back?!"

To my relief, there was a TWO STEP wrap up instead of the more typical one step.

A little background:
- Paula has been been dumped hard by two other actors who have left her for paying work elsewhere.
- She fears that anyone that she falls for will leave her.
- Elliot moves in. They fight, then fall in love
- In Act 3, Elliot gets an acting job in Seattle. 

STEP 1:  Paula faces her fear of being left. This is her "I love you."

ex. "INT. BEDROOM

...ELLIOT (controlling himself): Okay...Okay, I get the point...Forget it. I'm not going. It's not worth it. Not if I have to put you through four weeks of hell wondering whether I'm coming back or not...If I got this picture, I can get another one...I'm not going, okay?

PAULA: Okay.

ELLIOT: The hell I'm not. That's crazy! Why should I do a dumb stupid thing because you don't trust me? I'm going. You're just gonna have to trust me...Are you gonna trust me, Paula?

PAULA: I'll plan my days around it.

ELLIOT: Dammit!!...Dammit-to-hell!!...I hate those two guys who walked out of here. I'm the only one who's coming back and I'm getting all the blame.

PAULA: No...You go, Elliot...I want you to go...If you come back, fine. I'll be right here putting up my wallpaper. And if not, that's okay too...I'll miss you but I'll survive, Elliot, because I've grown up these last two months. Look at me. I'm all grown up. It was better than spending a summer at camp. I have never felt better or stronger in my life. Somebody is actually walking out that door and I'm not crumbling into a million pieces...Oh, Jesus, it feels good...Goodbye, Elliot. make a nice move...Have a wonderful career and if you're ever up for an Academy Award, I swear to God I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...."

STEP 2: Elliot does return that same night.  This is his "I love you" back.

ex. "THE PHONE BOOTH ON THE CORNER - NIGHT

It is the same one Elliot originally called from. He is very wet. A cab is waiting on the curb.

ELLIOT: Get dressed.

PAULA: What?

(THE PHONE SEQUENCES SHOULD BE INTERCUT AS DESIRED)

ELLIOT: Get dressed, you're coming with me.

PAULA: Where are you?

ELLIOT: On the corner, in my old leaky phone booth...The plane has engine trouble. We're delayed two hours. I cashed in first class for two economy's....

PAULA: I thought you said I couldn't come with you.

ELLIOT: I'll tell them you're my analyst. Actors are known to be very high strung.

PAULA: And you really want me to come?

ELLIOT: Jesus God, you sure love a love scene, don't you? Yes. YES! I want you to com!

PAULA (teary): ...Then it's okay. I don't have to...Just as long as you asked.

ELLIOT: Paula, don't play games with me. My socks are under water."

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: When the protagonist gets over her fear and does say "I love you," make sure there is a response from the other side, even if it takes 2 steps.

Otherwise, I'm left hanging because the emotional cycle is incomplete.

Goodbye Girl (1977)(rev. dated 12/15/76)
by Neil Simon

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'