Monday, January 28, 2019

2019 OSCARS: The Favourite (2018) - Thought Provoking Ending; Subtext of Manipulation

[Quick Summary: Lady Sarah Marlborough, the Queen's trusted confidante, and Abigail, a new social climber, make pawns of Queen Anne and England.]

For this year's 10 Oscars scripts, I've decided to pick out two things that I think that each script does well.

WHAT THIS SCRIPT DOES WELL:

1)  The ending left me thinking.  I do not think every ending has to be happy.

However, they should be satisfying and predictable.* 

This script adds the extra layer of "thought provoking," which is a special bonus. 

After a full script of manipulating and being manipulated, a major character gets a well timed "aha!" moment that comes too late.

"Is that all manipulation brings?!" I wondered.  Great food for thought.

2) The subtext of manipulation

Every character in this script is a manipulator. 

The best ones make their point without saying so (subtext).  This allows the audience the pleasure of putting 2 + 2 together. 

For example, in the scene below, note:
- Harley's words do not match his actions.
- The symbolism of the wren = Abigail

ex. "EXT PALACE LAWNS/ EG  NIGHT

HARLEY: ....I need a friend Abigail, one with cute ears and wide eyes. I am often blind-sided by the distorted situation at court. As Leader of the Opposition I should not be.  I would merely like to know of any plans her Ladyship, Godolphin or the Queen may have.

ABIGAIL: I will not betray my mistress's trust.

HARLEY: Oh look a wren. How cute.

She looks to the trees. Harley trips her and she goes face first into the stony path.

HARLEY (CONT'D): Are you alright? Let me help you up.

He reaches down. She warily reaches out a hand and he pulls her up a little.

HARLEY (CONT'D): Thing is if you're not my friend.  You are..

Then suddenly lets her go, she falls back down.

HARLEY (CONT'D): ...by definition my enemy. Anyway, think on it. No pressure.

Harley stalks off. Abigail sees the little wren, lying dead on the ground beside the path."

WHAT I'VE LEARNED:  I liked that the writers had something to say and they delivered it cleanly.

The Favourite (2019)(final draft, 3/23/17)
by Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara

* By "predictable," I do not mean dull or trite.  I do mean "logical, foreseeable, and/or the payoff to a previous setup."

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'