Monday, February 25, 2019

2019 OSCARS: Vice (2018) - Unusual V.O. Narrator; A Strong Female Role

[Quick Summary: The life and rise of U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney, particularly after 9/11/01.]

TWO THINGS THAT THIS SCRIPT DOES WELL:

1) USE OF AN UNSEEN NARRATOR. I don't think that I've seen a script before in which the the identity of a narrator is unknown until Act 3.

2) STRONG FEMALE ROLE. I think I remember hearing that Christian Bale (who plays Dick Cheney) said that the secret to Dick is Lynne. He's right.

I think that she is a very strong female role, in part because:
a) She is aware of the limitations for women of her era, but
b) It does not prevent her from standing on her own ground.

In the following scene, we see:
- A glimpse of Lynne's background
- Lynne laying her cards out and calling for a decision from Dick
- The chemistry between  Lynne and Dick (bringing out the best in each other)

ex. "INT. LYNNE'S HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - SAME TIME

DICK, WITH A BLACK EYE AND STAINS ON HIS SHIRT SITS ON THE COUCH.

LYNNE, 21, pretty and sharp, stands over him with a fury in her eyes.

LYNNE: Two times! Two times I had to drag you out of that jail like a filthy hobo!!

DICK: I'm sorry, Lynne...

LYNNE: What? What did you just say?

DICK: I'm sorry, Lynney.

LYNNE:You're sorry? Don't call me "Lynney!" One time is "I'm sorry." Two times makes me think I've picked the wrong man! They kicked your ass out of Yale for drinking and fighting! Now are you just a lush who's going to hang power lines for the state? Are we going to live in a trailer and have ten children!? Is that the plan?!

Dick looks like he might be sick.

DICK: Can we please...discuss this later?

LYNNE: No. We discuss it right now while you smell of piss and cheap booze!

EDNA, Lynne's Mom, starts to walk in.

EDNA: Does Dick want some coffee?

LYNNE: Mother get out! Does Dick want some coffee? Jesus Christ! (back to Dick) Here's my plan. Eight you stand up and put your back straight and have the courage to become someone or I am gone! There are a dozen men and a few Professors at school who would date me!

DICK: I love you, Lynne. I've loved you since the day I first saw you.

LYNNE: Then prove it! I can't go to a big Ivy League school! I can't run a company or be Mayor! That's just the way the world is for a girl! I need you! And right now you're a big fat piss soaked zero! (beat while she reloads) I've seen my Mother waiting up all night for my Father to come home. And I've seen him drunk in this house raising his voice and way worse, and I'm not dancing that dance anymore...I'm not!

QUICK FLASH BACK to Lynne's FATHER yelling at her MOTHER in the kitchen. Her dad is scary and has been drinking.

LYNNE (CONT'D): Can you change? Or am I wasting my goddamn time?

Beat as Dick looks up. There is a GROWLING DETERMINATION IN HIS EYES.

DICK: I won't ever disappoint you again Lynne.

FADE TO BLACK"

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: I liked this female role because she offers him a decision, but does not shy away from laying out what she needs. Nothing namby-pamby.

Vice (2018) 
Written & directed by Adam McKay

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'