Monday, February 7, 2022

TODAY'S NUGGET: Love and Death (1975) - Conflict + Suspense + Upended Expectations = Funnier Screwball Comedy Scenes

[Quick Summary: In 1800s Russia, a neurotic soldier avoids death, pursues love, and plans to kill Napoleon with the help of a distant cousin.] 

Though the page count is long, this script reads fast due to slapstick gags and jokes.

However, I thought the funniest scenes were those in which there was:
a) conflict, known or unknown; AND
b) suspense, in which the audience knows things that the characters do not; AND
c) how the resolution upends expectations, which makes it funnier.

For example, in the scene below:

a) Take CONFLICT...
- Boris and his reluctant wife Sonja are impersonating Spanish envoys who are to arrange a treaty with Napoleon.
- Simone is a French assassin who thinks Boris is also an assassin.
- Neither knows who the other truly is.
- The conflict is on many levels (moral, political, ethical).
- Also, I was surprised how emotionally conflicted I felt for Boris. For the first time in his life, he experiences someone finding him attractive...and it's likely faked!

b) Add SUSPENSE..Crank it up with UPENDED EXPECTATIONS:
- We are waiting to see things unfold, but then our expectations are upended:
---> Which side will unveil the imposter first? Neither does, which is funny.
---> Will Simone discharges the gun? It fails...which is funny
---> Will Boris decide to bed Simone? His rejection likely saved his life...which is funny.

INT. GUEST ROOM (BORIS). NIGHT

Him in his room. Knock on door. He opens it. Pretty woman.

BORIS: Yes?

SIMONE: Don Francisco?

BORIS: I hope so for your sake.

SIMONE (enters, door shut): I am a welcoming present from General Leveque.

BORIS: Oh, nice present. Shall we get this wrapping off?

SIMON

E: You're even more handsome than I thought.

BORIS: Yes, I get that all the time.

SIMONE: More sensuous than I had imagined in my wildest dreams.

BORIS: Really? What are some of your wildest dreams? (hands her pencil and paper) Why don't you write them down and we'll act out the parts.

SIMONE: Your sister -- she will not hear us in here?

BORIS: My sister? Oh my sister...good point...no...right now she's bathing, maybe even taking a bath.

She goes to him, kisses him, puts pistol to back of his head, pulls trigger, it clicks, misfiring.

BORIS: Did you hear a click? Oh well...listen...I feel a little guilty about this...you know, I have a wife in Spain.

SIMONE: Spain is far away.

BORIS: I know, but --I feel too guilty to cheat on her.

SIMONE: Yes?

BORIS: I'm afraid so. Well -- now that that's out of the way, shall we go to bed?

He turns. She fires again, it clicks.

BORIS: You hear that? I keep hearing a clicking sound. Listen, I appreciate your interest but I am kinda close to her. (getting rid of her)

SIMONE: Monsieur?

BORIS: Really - I  - I gotta get dressed - no kidding. Dining with the Emperor tonight...We're like this-- (crossed fingers) Or that -- take your choice.

And she's out. He looks into mirror. 

BORIS: Sweet girl -- hated to disappoint her -- she'll never know --she came that close to heaven.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: It would be a mistake to assume that the humor is only due to the dialogue. 

I really think the reason this kind of comedy stands out is the underlying structure (conflict + suspense + upended expectations), which requires a deft touch.

Love and Death (1975)(8/11/74 revised)
by Woody Allen

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'