Monday, February 28, 2022

2022 OSCARS: King Richard (2021) - Using Backstory with a Purpose

[Quick Summary: Richard Williams has a unlikely plan for his two daughters, Venus and Serena, to become tennis champions.]

This is a well-written sports biopic, though it wasn't new or cutting edge. 

However, I did like how the writer used of backstory to confront a character, rather than the usual "information dump."

The best example is late in the script (below):
- After Richard refuses to let Venus play in a tournament, his wife Orcene confronts him.
- Notice the backstory is used as evidence of quitting or not quitting. How many do you find? I found at least 8.

INT. WILLIAMS' HOME (FLORIDA) - MOMENTS LATER

...ORACENE: ...There would be no dream if it wasn't for me. I carried those girls, inside me and on my back. And I carried you too. I worked two shifts putting food on our table. (#1) That open stance stroke -- you got that from me! (#2) I fixed Serena's serve when you kept messing it up! (#3)

RICHARD: When you what?

ORACENE: Yeah, that's right. I fixed that toss you messed up. I've been here dreaming and believing the whole time, just like you. You just don't want to see me.

RICHARD:  Whatchu want? A thank-you?

ORACENE: That's all right Richard. I don't need your thank you. Unlike you, I don't need the world to tell me I'm great.

At that, Richard starts to walk off. 

ORACENE: That's right. Go ahead. Walk away. You are good at that. That's what you do, right? When things get hard, you just quit. Like you did with your cement business (#4) and your cleaning company. (#5) And all your other kids. (#6)

RICHARD: Oh, you got something you need to get off your chest? Well don't let God stop you. Say what you wanna say.

ORACENE: I just said it! You don't think I remember your son showing up in his red Nissan truck and knock on our door, and all you had to say was, 'Look, it's my son. He found me' (#7)-- or when your other kids came after. (#8) See, another woman would have left, but I stayed 'cause I don't quit. You're the one who leaves...

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: I really liked how the writer used the backstory with a defined purpose, i.e., to show the long family history with quitting/not quitting. 

King Richard (2021)(final)
by Zach Baylin

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'