Monday, April 18, 2022

TODAY'S NUGGET: Monkey Business (1931) - The Rule of Three: In Word Play & to Show "I Like You"

[Quick Summary: On a transatlantic voyage, the Marx Brothers annoy everyone.]

As you may know, the Marx brothers films are light on plot, but heavy on fun.  

They understood what works in comedy, particularly the comedy rule of three, i.e., setup, setup, payoff.  I've begun to think of it as a rhythm thing.

This script* demonstrates the rule in a variety of ways:

a) In word play, which requires a knowledge of English:

CHICO: I was gonin' ta bring my grandfather, but there was no room for his beard.
GROUCHO waving his toothbrush: Why don't you send for the swine adn let his beard come later?
CHICO: I sent for his beard.
GROUCHO: You did?
CHICO: Yeah, it's coming by hairmail.

b) In action to show "I like you," where language isn't as important.

On the promenade deck, Zeppo skids past and through a doorway with Gibson in hot pursuit. He reappears through another glass door and crouches down, hiding from Gibson, as a girl - Mary - walks through. Zeppo springs up and strolls along beside her, taking her by the arm. Camera tracks ahead of them.

ZEPPO expansively: You know, there's some might pretty country round here. I've...

MARY: I beg your pardon?

She disengages herself and walks on. Zeppo strides ahead of her whistling. He drops his handkerchief, picks it up, and steps up to Mary again.

ZEPPO: Pardon me, is this yours?

MARY: Why no.

She walks on. Zeppo hesitates, then tries again.

ZEPPO: Are you sure?

MARY sweetly: I'm positive. 

A smile comes over her face as she walks on. She drops her own handkerchief and waits. Then as Zeppo hurries up again she picks it up and holds it out to him.

MARY: Is this yours?

ZEPPO pocketing the handkerchief. Yes, it is.

He takes her by the arms and they stroll on. 

ZEPPO: Well, as I was saying, there's some mighty beautiful country round here.

MARY enthusiastically: The trees are lovely.

ZEPPO: Oh, you bet they are. I love 'em.

They go off in the foreground.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: Think in threes.  Also, I noticed that the economy of the dialogue and comedy is amazingly compact.

Monkey Business (1931)
by S.J. Perelman and Will B. Johnstone

*There is no official script available.  This one that was publish is likely the best approximation, and was cobbled together from dialogue continuity pages and shot-by-shot viewings of the film.

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'