Thursday, February 18, 2010

TODAY'S NUGGET: I Can't Read Your Mind

OK, fun folks, I know I'm smart, but I can't read your mind.

1 - If it's not there on the page, I can't read your mind to figure out what you mean.

2 - If you don't make it clear in the narrative, I can't read your mind where you want to go.

3 - If you don't raise the stakes, I can't read your mind why this is a story.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: I used to think I was asking too much from writers. Not anymore.

If writers aren't willing to work at the craft and put it on the page, I don't have to be nice either. Pass. I'll wait for the writer who SHOWS me, not TELLS me, great writing.

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'