Monday, January 23, 2023

TODAY'S NUGGET: Melvin and Howard (1980) - What Does a "Well Fleshed-out Character" Look Like?

[Quick Summary: The adventures of down-on-his luck Melvin who rescues an unrecognizable Howard [Hughes], and may be left a fortune in the latter's will.]

I went into this script cold, as I prefer to do.  I did not know what it was about, nor much about the writer, nor who directed it. **  Could he hold my attention?

In short, yes, but I'm not sure how.  After Howard disappears (p. 23), it's mostly about Melvin's shambolic life (until the will shows up p. 101).

Yet I couldn't take my eyes off this odd character Melvin, who can't hold down a job, who keeps going back to his ex, and who makes up songs that he sings badly.

And that's what really shines in this script, more than plot.

The writer puts Melvin in odd circumstances, but it's his odd decision making, his reliance on the short term, that kept me reading.

For example, in the scene below:
- Melvin now works as a door-to-door dairy deliveryman.
- He is now hanging out with his dairy truck co-workers at the bar.
- He is sad that his ex left with the kids for the umpteenth time.
- Bill Matilla owns the bar and gave Melvin a break as a regular featured singer.
- Bonnie works in the cashier's office at the dairy. She has had her eye on Melvin at work, at church.
- Melvin has been goaded into singing his song and has just finished it.
- Notice how well fleshed out and realistic Melvin is.  We recognize he isn't necessarily impulsive, just trying to bet on a "sure thing."

LA HABRA - TIKI RESTAURANT

...Dead silence, then applause and cheering erupts. Melvin is shy on the stage, his friends, Pete and Ralph and George Rush over to him, lift him off the stage, the band strikes up -- Bonnie rushes to Melvin.

She throws her arms around him.

MELVIN (all embarrassed): Hey, that was nice. You married, Bonnie? 

BONNIE: No I'm not, Melvin Dummar. And neither are you any more.

Melvin waits.

BONNIE: So what do you say?

MELVIN (shrugs): Gee, I don't know, Bonnie.

BONNIE: I'll take care of you, Melvin -- til you get on your feet. I got my welfare money saved up ---

MELVIN: You on welfare, Bonnie --?

BONNIE: I got two kids ---

MELVIN: Oh my Lord ---

BONNIE: Listen Melvin, I got a cousin up in Utah -- lost his lease on a gas station -- we run it right we get a thousand a month clear -- I've been waiting for this moment -- and the moment is now -- so what do you say?!

Melvin hesitates.

BONNIE: Or don't you come swinging your dick around the cashier's office no more!

MELVIN: Bonnie? A Mormon girl -- swearing?!

BONNIE: Bet your ass.

Melvin looks over at Bill Matilla who is dancing with a Japanese hostess. Melvin shakes his head.

MELVIN: When do we leave?

BONNIE: Tonight.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: Despite never being a dairy truck driver or a bar singer, I recognize Melvin, his habits, his attempts to bet on a winner. It's realistic.

I think that's what is meant by the term,  a "well fleshed-out" character.

Melvin and Howard (1980)(undated)
by Bo Goldman

* Though you may not have heard of double Oscar winning writer Bo Goldman (who is still alive), you will know some of the films that he's written: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Oscar winner); The Rose, Scent of a Woman (Oscar nominated); Meet Joe Black; Rules Don't Apply.

** This was directed by Jonathan Demme, who later directed Something Wild, Silence of the Lambs.

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'