Tuesday, December 29, 2009

TODAY'S NUGGET: Getting Unstuck

I'm in the middle of a rewrite & I got stuck today. I wanted to include some exposition via an argument, move the characters, and bridge to the next scene.

To make matters worse, my mind kept going back to a spec I'd read that was so entertaining, so fun, that I despaired measuring up.

But there was one silver lining: the spec reminded me that I was trying to stuff too many things into one scene.

Hmmm..writing less meant packing in more into a smaller space. How do I write less, but also write more? I believe I will take Shane Black's advice & go read a Walter Hill script, which inspired him to be very concise.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: I get unstuck by the greats who have gone before me.

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'