Friday, December 4, 2009

TODAY'S NUGGET: Loglines Tell All

After I read a script I'm covering, the very first thing I do is I write my own logline.

Even though some scripts come with a cover letter that states the logline, I still write my own. It's not just an exercise for me. It tells me if I can sum up your script to pitch or give the exec a visual.

Sometimes these loglines are flat and hard to write. Not a good sign.

If it takes me more than 10 min. to figure your logline out, it's even worse sign.

The most common reasons:

1. Your concept is hard to locate. This is akin to someone walking out of the theater not knowing what they've seen.

2. Your character didn't have enough challenges or was handed everything on a platter.

3. The story is so scattered and about too much. There's no theme.

Luckily, sometimes the loglines are a snap. That's when I know I've got a potential winner.

ex. Today I read a script that I spotted the logline by p. 13. It's vampire script with a twist I have not seen. Immediately this script stands out!

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: The longer I take on your logline => the harder it is to explain => the less likely I'm going to recommend your script.

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'