Wednesday, November 17, 2010

TODAY'S NUGGET: #14 WGA Script of All Time - Lawrence of Arabia (1960)

[Quick Summary: Lawrence, a young British intelligence officer, is sent to "assess the situation" of Bedouin Arabs in their fight against the Turks in WWI (1916). 

I did not like this script.

There.  I said it.

This is an epic 4 hour film, so I prepared myself for a script with a slower pace...but I was wrong.  I could only read 136 pgs. (out of a whopping 268 pgs.)

WHAT I LIKED: Lawrence has interesting traits.  He's got moxie.

ex. Lawrence, & his commanding officer Brighton meet Feisel, a local desert leader.  Brighton wants Feisel to move his people south to safer grounds.

Brighton uses British reasoning, which doesn't impress Feisel.  It's a stalemate...

...until Lawrence agrees with Feisel. 

Brighton is aghast. Who does he think he is?

But Lawrence cleverly points out things that are to Feisel's advantage by cooperating with the English.  Lawrence has won Feisel's confidence as well as broken the stalemate.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: I had no idea what Lawrence had at stake personally.  It was hard for me to connect.

I sympathized. I admired. But never thought, "That's me" or "That's someone I know."

Lawrence of Arabia (1960)
by Robert Bolt

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'