Monday, November 8, 2010

TODAY'S NUGGET: #23 WGA Script of All Time - Gone With the Wind (1939)

[Quick Summary: Civil War Southern belle is in an uphill struggle for the wrong man, & to save her plantation home, Tara.]

I confess that I wasn't able to finish this 256 page tome in one day.

But the one thing I did notice was that Rhett Butler has got it in spades:

- He has a great introduction.  Scarlett sees someone staring at her & she asks a friend, "Who's THAT nasty dark one?"  The audience has not seen Rhett yet, but we're intrigued. 

- There's very little physical description of Rhett, except we get a flavor for him just by how he stands: "[He] lounges at the foot of the stairs, a mint julep glass in his hand, smiling up at them."  His physicality is less important than his attitude.

- He consistently has the best lines: "No...I don't think I will kiss you.  Although you need kissing - badly."

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: Rhett Butler is written as a strong man who's not afraid to tell a woman he loves her.  I don't see him as weak for that admission, but stronger. 

I'm glad to see this tough-tender balance b/c characters often lean too much one way or the other.


Gone With the Wind (1939)
by Sidney Howard

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'