Monday, August 5, 2024

TODAY'S NUGGET: Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941) - Do You Have A Premise So Strong That It's Been Remade Three Times?

[Quick Summary: When boxer Joe Pendleton accidentally is taken 50 yrs. too soon, Mr. Jordan helps Joe's soul to be placed in the body of a millionaire. ]

Q: What are buyers looking for today?
A: A strong premise.

Q: But what IS a strong premise?
A: A story line that audiences want to see to its conclusion.

Q: What can I look to for a great premise?
A: I think this script is a great example because:
- Back in the day, it won both Oscar winners for story & script in the same year.*
- It is only one of two scripts to ever achieve that status.**
- It has withstood the test of time.  It is based on a play and has been remade at least three times.***

Q: So what makes it a great premise?
A: For me, it was a new approach to the afterlife.  Who had seen an angel (Messenger 7013) take a soul (Joe) before he was supposed to go? 

In the scene below:
- This occurs in the waiting area where souls wait in line to board a plane to heaven. 
- Messenger 7013 has brought Joe to see the head man, Mr. Jordan.
- I particularly like Joe bargaining with Mr. Jordan ("I expect you to make good, Mr. Jordan") because it made me curious to see how this would end.

JOE: Now you're talking, Mister Jordan! You got to get busy and do something about this.

JORDAN: I intend to. Come along, Joseph.

JOE: Where to?

JORDAN: I'm taking you back.

JOE: But you can't! Didn't we tell you? I have got a body any more -

JORDAN (annoyed): What of it? I'll get you another body.

JOE: You'll do what?

MESSENGER 7013 (to Jordan; in amazement): Another body, sir?

JORDAN (testily): That's what I said. Come along. 

He takes Joe by the arm as if to lead him off. But Joe holds back.

JOE (hotly): Wait a minute, now - wait a minute. What kind of a deal is this? You fellas aren't shoving anybody else's body off on me. Not on your life!

MESSENGER 7013 (seeing the light): Oh, but Mr. Pendleton - if Mr. Jordan says he'll get you a body, it'll be as good as your own - if not better.

JOE (stubbornly; troubled): There isn't any better! I put in ten years getting that body in the pink. No! just because you two fumbled the ball is no sign--!

JORDAN (with authority): But Joseph - it's gone! Your body doesn't exist any more!

JOE (doggedly): That isn't my fault. You fellows can do anything. Now come on - do your stuff!

JORDAN (kindly): We shall, Joseph. You may have your choice of a thousand bodies, all excellent specimens.

MESSENGER 7013: A thousand bodies, Mr. Pendleton. Think of it!

JOE: I am thinking of it, and I say no dice! I want my own body - nobody else's!

MESSENGER 7013: Oh tush! Don't make such a fuss. What is it, after all?  A mere physical covering -- worth chemically -- just thirty-two cents!

JOE: Not mine. It was in the pink, I tell you!

MESSENGER 7013: Oh dear!

JORDAN: Suppose we get started, Joseph.

JOE (holding back): Now wait. Let's understand each other before we go running around--

JORDAN: I promise you - we'll keep looking until you find a body you like. Is that fair enough!

JOE: I only want what's coming to me -- What I was and what I was going to be --Nothing more, nothing less. And I expect you to make good, Mr. Jordan.

JORDAN (smiling): I'll do my best, Joe. Come along.

He starts off with Joe.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: The premise should avoid a predictable ending, so the audience will want to go on the journey and see how it ends.

Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)
By Sidney Buchman and Seton I. Miller
Based on a story by Harry Segall

*Before 1956, the Academy used to have three separate awards in the writing category: original script, adapted script, and story. 

**The only other script to achieve this was Miracle on 34th Street (1946).

*** Down to Earth (1947); Heaven Can Wait (1978); Down to Earth (2001).

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'