Monday, April 15, 2019

TODAY'S NUGGET: Breakfast Club (1985) - Changing the Tone to Reinforce Theme

[Quick Summary: During a Saturday detention, five unconnected high schoolers discover they have more in common than they thought.]

If you were alive in the 1980s, this was one of the "must see" films of the decade.*

(I think one reason is that Hughes portrays teens as they are: messy, opinionated, unvarnished, uncensored.)

I read two undated drafts, A (earlier) and B (later).  They are the same story, but B is shorter and more polished.

I also thought B was the better draft because its tone reinforces the theme.

For example, I think one of the themes is about making unlikely friendships.

In Draft A (below), the tone is rather ironic and sad, i.e., divided and lonely.

In Draft B (below), the tone is more allied and upbeat, i.e., unified and together.

Which one reinforces friendship and feeling connected?  Draft B.

DRAFT A (Earlier draft):

ex. "The kids continue laughing. Allison speaks up.

ALLISON: I can beat that.

The kids look at her.

ALLISON: You know what I did to get in here?

BRIAN: This should be classic!

The kids are anticipating  a good laugh.

ALLISON: Nothing. (pause) I didn't have anything better to do today.

There's no laughter. Just incredulous stares and silence."

DRAFT B (Later draft):

ex. "Andrew starts to laugh.

BRIAN: It's not funny...

They all start to laugh, including Brian.

BRIAN: Yes it is...fuckin' elephant was destroyed.

ALLISON: You wanna know what I did to get in here? Nothing...I didn't have anything better to do.

Everyone laughs.

ALLISON: You're laughing at me...

ANDREW: No!

Allison starts to laugh too.

ALLISON: Yeah you are!"

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: I was surprised how very few words were changed between Draft A and B, but the tone was completely different.

Breakfast Club (1985)(undated, "Draft B" noted above)
by John Hughes

*As a side note, the Library of Congress' entered it into the National Film Registry in 2016.  These are films that important for "their cultural, historic and aesthetic importance to the nation’s film heritage."

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'