Monday, January 4, 2010

TODAY'S 2nd NUGGET: More Grousing on Play by Play

I'm writing coverage now and am skipping most of the sports play by play detail.

To me, showing a play by play is like showing a fight scene. Thus, the same rules apply.

Say it with me: Story SHOULD NOT STOP for the game/fight scene. Character MUST CONTINUE DURING the game/fight scene.

Do NOT stick in a sports game just to show cool moves.

Do NOT stop the stakes because the game is going. If anything, the stakes should be higher after the game.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: If I wanted to watch a game, I'd stop reading your script and go watch ESPN.

Of course if you want me to stop reading your script, go ahead & include game scenes that don't push the story forward...

Whew! Glad I got that off my chest.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'