Friday, January 8, 2010

TODAY'S NUGGET: Chick Lit Scripts

My heart has cracked in two. There’s a huge cavity inside my chest & I just want to crawl under the covers.

Yesterday I was fine, happy, and the sun was shining despite my problems.

….Or was this just me after reading two different chick lit scripts (both adaptions by two different A list writers)?

Chick lit isn’t my favorite genre. It ranges widely, sometimes obsessively, over everyday issues that don’t mean as much to me. I can understand a rom-com, because it’s essentially about the relationship.

But chick lit? It’s heavy into an individual’s point of view.

However, these two excellent scripts moved me to laughter (yesterday) & stifled tears (today). I am also very, very impressed by their clarity. The conflict is never hidden – who vs. who, why, where, the consequences. The basics are rock solid, and it is the nuances that tell me this is a writer in command.


WHAT I’VE LEARNED: The secret to these scripts is that they steal past your guard, and create a lump in your throat. And you have no idea how they did it.
TO

No comments:

perPage: 10, numPages: 8, var firstText ='First'; var lastText ='Last'; var prevText ='« Previous'; var nextText ='Next »'; } expr:href='data:label.url' expr:href='data:label.url + "?&max-results=7"'