[Quick Summary: The Beatles try to keep themselves - and Paul's grandfather - out of trouble while getting ready for a tv performance.}
What kind of script works for super-duper famous musicians who aren't actors?
Today's script tackles that task, as it was written for the four Beatles as they hit their stride in 1964.* (And it must've worked well, as it's an Oscar nominated script!)
I think the trick of this script was that:
- It gave each of the four guys something to do. Each one has his own mini-story within the larger story.
- The guys poke fun at their fame and don't take themselves seriously.
- It doesn't require the musicians to be actors.
- It puts the guys in quirky situations that the average guy would also find amusing.
For example, in the scene below:
- George is looking for Ringo and goes into a building across from the theater labeled "Canteen and Executive Office."
- Simon, the executive, doesn't know who George is or that he's famous.
- Simon thinks George is an actor who is giving his opinion on clothes for teenagers.
- The irony is that Simon dismisses George's opinions as irrelevant, though George actually could have a lot of sway over Simon's customers.
INTERIOR OFFICE
...A Collection of shirts is produced and GEORGE looks at them. While he is doing this SIMON briefs him.
SIMON: You'll like these. You really "dig" them. They're "fab" and all the other pimply hyperboles.
GEORGE: I wouldn't be seen dead in them. They're dead grotty.
SIMON: Grotty?
GEORGE: Yeah, grotesque.
SIMON (to Secretary): Make a note of that word and give it to Susan. I think it's rather touching really. Here's this kid trying to give me his utterly valueless opinion when I know for a fact within four weeks he'll be suffering from a violent inferiority complex and loss of status if he isn't wearing one of these nasty things. Of course they're grotty, you wretched nit, that's why they were designed but that's what you'll want.
GEORGE: But I won't.
SIMON: You can be replaced you know, chicky baby.
GEORGE: I don't care.
SIMON: And that pose is out too, Sunny Jim. The new thing is to care passionately, and be right wing. Anyway, you wont' meet Susan if you don't cooperate.
GEORGE: And who's this Susan when she's at home?
SIMON (playing his ace): Only Susan Compey, our resident teenager. You'll have to love her. She's your symbol.
GEORGE: Oh, you mean that posh bird who gets everything wrong?
SIMON: I beg your pardon?
GEORGE: Oh, yes, the lads frequently gather round the T.V. set to watch her for a giggle. Once we even all sat down and wrote these letters saying how gear she was and all that rubbish.
SIMON: She's a trend setter. It's her profession!
GEORGE: She's a drag. A well-known drag. We turn the sound down on her and say rude things.
SIMON: Get him out of here!!
GEORGE (genuinely surprised): Have I said something amiss?
WHAT I'VE LEARNED: This script showed me that one interesting thing you can do for non-actors is to put them into situations where they have to react as average people, not famous people.
A Hard Day's Night (1964)
by Alun Owen
*A short time line to give you context:
- 1960: The Beatles started as a group.
- February, 1964: They appear on The Ed Sullivan Show in the U.S.
- March -April, 1964: This film was shot.
- July, 1964: This film premiered.
No comments:
Post a Comment